Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Flying V's over Leeds

Hello again Fretheads!!!

Well over to Leeds for the annual Wars of the Roses Guitar Show in which I a Lancastrian attempt to tell a Yorkshireman but clearly I can't tell him much! Not a bad show on the whole but I am somewhat at a loss at the Leeds show as I never seem to do well sales wise and end up buying more than I sell. Some lovely stuff on show including some nice old 60's Strat's and an early 60's SG Les Paul.

I did spy on one stand a very nice 70's Flying V but the price was realistic rather than profitable. I DO like the Flying V's and I think this goes back to a mate of mine having one in the 1980's when I had a humble and rather badly made three bolt neck Strat. Yes even during that terrible period in Fender's history I bought the worst example. A hardtail Sunburst one with an unsteady neck. Anyway back to the Flying V! I do love the Flying V shape as I do all the Gibson Modernistic models. I suppose those modern shapes fit in with the vintage retro modern aesthetic of Modern Guitars.

The limited number of V's produced between 65 and 70 and the obvious Hendrix connection mean that values of these guitars have rocketed (if you pardon the pun) in recent years. The change in body design on the 65 and later models to the 'slope shoulder' pattern is, to me, more pleasing to the eye. 1970 to 1974 Gibson V's known as the Medallion Models due to the 'Limited Edition' medallion (in reality a sticker) being added to the front of the body are also becoming sought after. 1975 -1980 V's are less rare and less valuable but still have resonance with players and collectors. After 1980 there were a whole range of designs ending with the V2 (yes you can have V shaped pickups Sir!). Since then the more sought after have tended to be Custom and Historic models recreating the original 1958 Modernistic designs and some signature models.

V's are great guitars that can span blues and metal, They are sought after by collectors and players alike and at the right price represent a bargain....I have seen them sell for as little as £650 for an early 1980's model as people 'fall out' with the shape and go for something a little less 'radical'.

Until next time Fretheads!

No comments: