Saturday, February 23, 2008

Edwyn Collins....Absolute Bloody Hero!

I have just watched a sensitive documentary on BBC 4 about Edwyn Collins - he of Orange Juice and 'A Girl Like You' fuzzed out guitar solo fame - and his road to recovery after suffering a brain tumour and a stroke! Vintage guitar fans will know Edwyn from features in guitar magazines outlining his superb taste in vintage guitars, amps and effects. Despite problems with his right arm it was great to see Edwyn making his first steps towards recording again. What an absolute bloody hero...It was very emotional watching Edwin using Fender and Gibson name games as part of his speech therapy...and all of my very best goes out to Edwyn and his family. In Edwyn's own words.

"How are you? You're Well? Good. Let's start with guitars. I like guitars. I have loads of guitars. The Gretsch, The Levin, The Rickenbacker,the Gibson and the Fender. So many possibilities. Some times I look at them with excitement! The trouble is my hand doesn't work at the moment but it will do in time. Give it time"

As I said...absolute bloody hero!

Check out Edwyn's own site and myspace page

http://www.edwyncollins.com/

http://www.myspace.com/wwwmyspacecomedwyncollins

No comments: