Friday, July 30, 2010

Fender Built by Mexicans Played by...Snobs!?

Hi there fret heads...

I have been keeping my eye on Mexican Fender's at the moment. I have recently had one offered and it is/was a truly lovely guitar... foam green. I have to admit to being a US Guitar snob and certainly with sales and buys pretty thin on the ground in these recessionary times I have "stuck to the knitting" with regard to US Instruments.

One guitar recently changed my mind. I have bought in a cream coloured maple board California Series Telecaster with Humbucker at the neck. A 1990's one....regular readers will know my love of 1980's and 1990's Fenders in custom colours. But this is great!!!! A real knockout! The Cal series guitars are a bit like the Road Worn ones now....made in Mexico but they were assembled in the US and have that all important Made in The USA mark on the headstock. Apparently the bodies were routed and sprayed in Mexico then a cross border switcheroo meant they were assembled in the good old USA ...mine has a Corona Neck plate too...bonus!

After all anyone who has read any of the histories of Fender's early day will note Abigail Ybarra, Tadeo Gomez and a host of other Mexican names working at the Fullerton plant. So I guess you can say that the best Fenders have always been made by Mexicans!

This one has an AMXN serial number and is a true players guitar that wont lose its value but will give good service with that great Humbucker at the neck a la Andy Summers....pictures up on the website soon....

Until next time Los Twang Wrestlers!

No comments: