Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Making You an Offer You Can't Refuse

Hello Fret Kings and Queens!

Mooching around on my fave online classified ad sites and I am amazed by the number of guitars of a vintage hue on there where people are asking for 'offers'. This seems to be a trend possibly exacerbated by the closure of Music Ground's two Northern stores. The guitar sellers cry of "But its £2500 in Music Ground!" has been replaced by "Make me an Offer!". It is as if no-one can fix a price point anymore!

There is a counter to the old Caveat Emptor saying of - let the buyer beware and that's Caveat Venditor - let the seller beware! Quite clearly no-one has a clue where vintage and quality guitar prices are going to land at the moment. There are too many variables around at present although my recent experience at the Northern Guitar Show suggests that buyers and sellers ARE doing deals again!

The make me an offer thing is a conundrum though. Do the sellers who bring guitars along to shows or advertise them think a dealer is going to have a sudden fit of generosity and make a hugely 'over the top' offer. They also seem genuinely insulted when a dealer makes a realistic market based offer...or even a cheeky one! I usually work around the 'what price did you have in mind' at which point they blurt out their price expectation! Why not just start from that and work around it instead of this ridiculous 'fandance'. I used to have a friend in the used car trade who as he put it - knocked the price offered down by 5% for every half hour of his time the seller wasted. I am not sure you can be that harsh in the vintage guitar market but if you are coming to do business with me have a price sorted out in your head! Please!

Until next time fretheads!

No comments: